RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI International is implementing a USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy, Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed at improving governance and service delivery at the local government level. This project ends in September 2017. The position is open to residents of Nigeria only.
RTI International is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
- The Accountant is responsible for ensuring that appropriate systems and procedures (payroll, cash management, vendor payments, budgeting and other related expenditures) are followed in Sokoto office to properly disburse, account, budget and report project funds in a cost effective manner and timely.
- He/she will also ensure that proper internal controls are applied in compliance with the terms of the agreement.
- Process payments for staff travel advances and other vendor advances, ensuring advances are liquidated on time and accurately.
- Make payments to workshop participants (including travel and meals refunds) as designated by the supervisor
- Prepare payment vouchers in support of payments for project activities and suppliers invoices confirming such payments are: in accordance with the laid down procedures and policies, accurate, complete, adequately supported by all underlying appropriate documents, correctly coded to appropriate general ledger code and project code.
- Maintain inventory tracking system and do periodic reviews to ensure compliance with RTI procedures and terms of the agreement;
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts of the Sokoto office monthly.
- Prepare and submit monthly bank reconciliations for the project bank accounts
- Perform cash management functions required in maintaining RTI bank accounts;
- Follow up with employees in Sokoto office to make sure that expense reports are submitted within the deadline.
- Review expenses and financial transactions to ensure they are in compliance with RTI procedures and terms of the agreement;
- Address monthly financial reports, review comments raised by the supervisor in relation to travel and activity advances & respective liquidations
- Record into QuickBooks accounting system all financial transactions occurring in the Sokoto office.
- Assist Finance Manager in preparing monthly financial reports.
- Raise journal vouchers or adjusting journals for necessary reviews and approvals
- Review sub-grantees financial documents in consultation with the Senior Grant Manager.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by his/her supervisors.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s Degree and 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function independently and carry out routine responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures as well as the ability to apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances.
- An understanding of and commitment to RTI’s mission and values.
- Experience in application of USAID rules & regulations.
- Proficient in MS Excel and strong working knowledge of accounting software
- QuickBooks proficiency is desired.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their cover letter and CV’s in reverse chronological order with position applied for as subject (including email and phone contact) to: [email protected]
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer
Application Deadline 18th February, 2017.